OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY DIRECTOR DAIRY LUDHIANA
The office of Deputy Director Dairy Ludhiana is the District Headquarter of Dairy Development Department Punjab covering whole district of Ludhiana in the field of dairy development activity. It is situated at 15-A, Shashtri Nagar, Opposite R.S. Model School in Model Town, Phone : 0161-5016579 with the following staff set up at district headquarter :-
|Serial No||Designation||No. of Posts|
|1.||Deputy Director Dairy||1|
|2.||Dairy Development Inspector Grade I||1|
|3.||Dairy Development Inspector Grade II||1|
|4.||Dairy Field Assistant||2|
|9.||Jeep Driver (Jeep-1)||1|
|10.||Deputy Director Dairy||1|
1. O/o Dairy Dev. Inspector c/o Dairy Dev. Office Bija Distt. Ludhiana and one Dairy Field Assistant.
2. Dairy Dev. Inspector C/o Veterinary Hospital, G.T. Road Samrala and Dairy Field Assistant.
3. Dairy Dev. Inspector C/o Block Dev. and Panchayat Office Jagraon and Dairy Field Assistant.
The above staff is engaged with the Dairy Development/Extension work in their respective allocated areas for the development of dairy farming in the district.
Functioning : The technical staff right from Deputy Director Dairy to Dairy Field Assistant are assigned various duties i.e. help in setting up of dairy units under. Self Employment Scheme for Educated Unemployed. Rural youth aged between 18-45 yrs of 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50 Milch Animals. Prior to this one is required to undergo Training in dairy at Dairy Training Centre Bija for 15 days, secondly, trainings are also conducted in villages at dairy farmers doorstep. Breeding, Feeding, Management like aspects are discussed in detail Animal health, clean milk production, milk products preparations, Marketing etc. are also a part of this activity.
Diary Farmers attending camp in a village
A Beneficiary under self employment scheme
Achievements During the year 2004-05
|Dairy Units||145 against target of 135|
|2 Days raining camps||Camps 32 (1280) and trainees 1418|
|Consumer Awareness Camp||4 and 270 samples|
|Women Power Camp 1 day||4 and 155 trainees|
|Cattle Feed Samples taken||40|
|Cattle Feed Manufacturers Regd.||31|
Target for the year 2005-06
|Consumer Awareness Camp||15|
|2 Days Training Camps||42|
|Cattle Feed Samples taken||60 (minimum) 5 samples per month|
Self Employment Scheme:
Under this scheme willing Educated Unemployed Rural Youth on recommendation from the field staff is sent to Dairy Training Centre Bija for 15 days training. Topics like Animal Breeds and Breeding, Management/Products (like Khoa, Paneer, Dahi, Lassi, Ghee etc. making are covered. In addition to this topics. Their cases are sent to different PADB/Bank / Commercial Bank branches for loan for establishing their dairy units comprising of 5, 10, 20, 30 and 50 animals. Loan is also provided for cattle shed and milking machine. Milch Animals purchased under this scheme are insured at the rates fixed by the Govt.
Under this scheme a person who is handling milk more than 10,000-75,000 litre/day have to get registered with Directorate of Dairy Development, Punjab, Chandigarh. Registration of milk handling capacity above 75,000 litres per day is done by Govt. of India.
Cattle Feed Order 1998 :
On the order the Govt. through the Deptt. has set BIS specifications for cattle feed. The manufacturers has to maintain Protein, Fibre, Ash etc to the prescribed level so that milch animals get balanced diet.
To aware the milk consumers of the quality of milk they purchase, milk testing camps are held in different localities in the city/towns . Milk is tested for Fat, SNF and other harmful adulteration which is mixed in milk on the spot.
Adarsh Gram Scheme :
Under this scheme two days dairy training camps of women of Adarsh Gram are conducted jointly with the Animal Husbandry Deptt. and different aspects of dairying are discussed in detail.
A milk testing lab is permanently set up at district headquarter where milk testing is done free of cost from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and test reports it is made available the same day. This office takes part whenever asked to attend in such activities. Technical know how/information is provided when required.
Dairy Training Centre Bija, Distt. Ludhiana.
This institution is located on Ludhiana Khanna Road at a distance of 30 kms from Ludhiana adjoining milk chilling centre (Milkfe) Bija. It imparts training to dairy farmers from Ludhiana, Patiala, Sangrur, Fatehgarh Sahib distt. under self employment Scheme of the department. Its staff set up is as under :-
|Serial No||Designation||No. of Posts|
|1.||Dairy Development Officer||1(Head of the institution)|
|2.||Dairy Development Inspector||1|
A fee of Rs. 150/- for General category and Rs. 100 for S.C. is charged by the institution.
This institution has
1. Administrative Block
2. Lecture room
4. Research/Laboratory equipped with testing apparatus/equipment.
5. Audio visual Aids equipment, computer, dairy films and a library lased with technical literature.
6. Hostel, mass room and common room.
7. Lawns, shrubs, trees keep away pollution and greenery adds to the beauty of the institution.
8. For water supply a tubewell with overhead tank is also installed.
9. Office of Dairy Development Inspector along with Dairy Field Assistant is shifted from Khanna to this institute to make it convenient to get their loan cases processed at the earliest for the trainees of the surrounding areas.
Syllabus comprising of following topics is covered
1. Animal Breeding, Feeding and Management
2. Dairy Film Shows.
3. Practical in making milk products like Khoa, Paneer, Lassi, Ghee etc.
4. Practical for judging, calculation, Body weight etc. of milch animals are conducted.
5. Practical to test Fat, SNF and other adulterants in milk
6. Lectures by subject specialists of different deptts such as Fisheries, PADB, Animal Husbandry are arranged.
7. Trainees tours to PAU, Milk Plant, Progressive dairy farms etc are conducted.
8. Exhibitions are displayed at melas etc.
Dairy farmers training class in session.
Practical in making milk products at the center
Giving away training certificate under self employment scheme.
On completion of 15 days training, certificates are given the successful trainees so that they proceed further to establish dairy units.